My inspiration for this blog!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Presenting our 1st Guest Contributor Melissa: Chicken Cutlets with Fresh Spinach and Mushrooms and melted Mozzarella Cheese

We are ending March on a high note!  The blog has only been in existence for a month now, and so far, so good!  I have been anxiously awaiting feedback, and have started to receive it, please keep your comments coming!  I've put it out there numerous times that if you have a recipe that you would like to share, don't hesitate!  I am so pleased to present the blog's first contributing writer!  
I have known Melissa for going on 2 decades now.  She is a fellow Mommy, to a 9 month old boy.  She, like me, only wants to provide the best meals for her family.  As we all know, home-cooked is really the best way!  She has very graciously decided to share a recipe that I can't wait to try out for my son.  He hasn't tried mushrooms yet, but since it is all cooked on top of the cutlet, I can't imagine a better way of introducing mushrooms to him.  Of course, as I try out this recipe multiple times, I may or may not add notes, which will be italicized.  In the future, I encourage all of you to share your favorite family-friendly recipes, and I hope Melissa will contribute again!  So without further adieu...

Melissa's Chicken Cutlets with Fresh Spinach and Mushrooms and melted Mozzarella Cheese 

4 chicken breast cutlets (3 ounces each)
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound spinach, stemmed
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (2 ounces)


1. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add the mushrooms, scallions, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, cover, and cook until the spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes.
5. Place the chicken on the broiler pan. Top the chicken with the spinach-mushroom mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella on top and broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.

Makes 4 servings


I make brown rice on the side

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!