My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cheeseburger Pie

This meal I came across while looking for healthy budget meals.  I love when you get tried and true recipes from real people.  Don't get me wrong, celebrity chefs are amazing.  However, some of their recipes are not geared to the busy family.  So when someone comes along and has a recipe that is easy, looks good, and that Eoin will probably eat, I'm all for it!  This recipe is from a real mom, Anne Coleman.  It literally tastes like a Double Cheeseburger from McDonald's, just WAY better for you! 


 
Yields 6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of crescent rolls
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, or 1 tsp onion powder (I used the onion powder, as you should know by now, Bill is NOT a fan of onions)
  • 1/3 cup chopped dill pickles slices (I used a mixture of bread and butter and dill pickles)
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tsp prepared mustard (I used Dijon, but used yellow mustard for the garnish)
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp dill pickle juice (again, I used bread and butter pickle juice)
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 2 cups shredded American cheese (I used Colby Jack)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Unroll crescent rolls and press into the bottom and up the sides of a small baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (or 8-inch pie pan)
  • Cook ground beef in skillet until browned.  Drain well.
  • Stir in onion, chopped pickle, ketchup and mustard.
  • Sprinkle with flour and add pickle juice and milk.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. 
  • Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
  • Pour into prepared crust and bake 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
  • Remove from oven and top with remaining cup of cheese.  Let stand until cheese melts. 
  • Garnish with extra ketchup, mustard and pickle slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!