My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas Verde

Everyone has their own way of making chicken enchiladas.  Some people buy enchilada sauce, which either comes in red or green.  Some people (me) make their own simple sauce.  This is truly such a simple recipe.  It is a little time consuming, which is why I make these over a 2-day period.  If you don't have the time to bang it out all at once, don't worry, this is a meal that you can make in phases.  Yesterday was a very busy day over here, luckily I already had our dinner for last night sitting in a casserole dish in our fridge.  I knew today was going to be yucky out, and definitely a lot less busy, so I decided to cook my chicken for the enchiladas in the slow cooker, right before making the kids their lunch.  It cooked for the rest of the day, and I refrigerated the chicken and sauce overnight.  This morning I shredded the chicken, and in a little while I will assemble the enchiladas and bake them for dinner tonight.  It gets done on my time, and this is probably one of the most time consuming dishes I make, but it's soooo delicious!  To not give my son unnecessary tummy troubles, we'll be making his enchiladas without the peppers and sauce, they'll simply be chicken and cheese roll-ups.

Serves 4, makes anywhere from 4-8 enchiladas, depending on what size you make them.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 jar of chicken gravy
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup banana peppers, or Chile peppers, chopped
  • corn tortillas
  • cream cheese
  • shredded cheese, cheddar, Monterrey jack, Mexican blend, it's totally up to personal preference
Directions:
  1. Rinse and trim fat off chicken breasts and put in slow cooker.  Add chicken gravy, chopped onions and peppers.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  (If you do this the day before, after this cooks, refrigerate the meat and sauce together overnight)
  2. Shred chicken (Again, if you do this in phases, this would be phase 2, you can then refrigerate the sauce and the chicken separately until you are ready for the final steps.)
  3. Spread thin layer of cream cheese on each tortilla.  Put meat and sauce into each tortilla and roll up.  Arrange enchiladas in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour excess sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with your choice of shredded cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F, or until heated thoroughly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!