My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baked Sweet Potato "Steak Fries"

Today is Ash Wednesday which means no meat on the menu today in my house!  I've been thinking of a Lenten Menu all week so far, and a few things have been suggested to me, which I may make posts about.  Tonight I'll be making breaded baked sole fillets for the family and will be posting the recipe along with photos later.  I'm also trying my hand at gnocchi for the first time very soon and will be posting that recipe as well (providing it comes out edible).  Also, next week, in 2 days I'll be making 4 loaves of Irish Soda Bread, and will make a special St Patrick's themed post for that!  I'll be making the Irish Soda Bread first with Eoin, then with the kids I sit, it will be a fun activity for all!  I'm also doing some research on my first household tips blog, and I'm sure some will be surprised at what I've found!  I'm super-excited about it, and should be posting within the next few days! 
However, back to what the post was originally about...one of Eoin's first foods was the sweet potato, initially, he loved it!  Since the initial love fest, the form in which his sweet potatoes have taken has morphed.  First it was pureed, then baked, now he likes them in the form of a "steak fry." 
** NOTE: Sweet Potatoes and Yams are often mistaken for one another, but are often prepared the same ways.
Traditional Baked Sweet Potato
  • Preheat oven to 400° F
  • Scrub the Sweet Potato
  • Poke holes in Sweet Potato with fork while running under cold water
  • Wrap in foil, leaving top open
  • Put in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray (as potato cooks, a "syrup" comes out)
  • Bake for about 45, until tender
Sweet Potato Steak Fries
  •  Preheat oven to 400° F
  •  Scrub the Sweet Potato
  • Peel Sweet Potato and cut into thick strips, like steak fries
  • Toss with the tiniest amount of olive oil (to keep sweet potato chunks from drying out)
  • Line on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray
  • Cook for about 20-30 minutes, until tender, flipping half way through
  • Sprinkle a tiny amount of cinnamon on top (optional) about 5 min prior to taking out of oven.
I make this especially for my son, and one large potato lasts him a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!