My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reindeer Munch

This year for Christmas, Eoin made his Great Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles ornaments for Christmas. We also made a recipe that I had found in the December 2011 issue of Parents Magazine. Reindeer Munch is very similar to something that I had tried years ago called “White Trash.” It's fun and easy to make and is quite tasty too! I am going to post the original recipe. I did make some alterations, I used a mix of white, milk and dark chocolates. I already have my idea for next year's presents for Great Grandparents and Aunt and Uncles, but I'm pretty sure we'll wind up making this again as well, it was just that good! Parents Magazine suggests gifting this treat in a handmade container, I used a holiday decorative cellophane bag.



Makes about 12 cups (24 ½ cup servings)

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups bite-size square-shaped rice cereal, such as Chex (you can also use Cheerios)
  • 2 cups thin pretzel sticks
  • 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts (or use soy nuts)
  • 1 cup dried cranberries (you can use any dried fruit really)
  • 1 cup candy-coated milk-chocolate pieces, such as M&M's
  • 12 oz vanilla-flavored candy-coating, or white candy melts (I used white, milk and dark chocolate chips-not combined, I did a few batches separately)


Directions:

In a very large bowl, combine the cereal, pretzels, peanuts, dried fruit, and candy pieces; set aside.
Put bite-size candy pieces in a microwave safe bowl, melt according to package directions. Pour over cereal mixture; toss to coat.
Spread mixture on a large piece of foil. Let stand until set (about 30 minutes). Break into bite-size pieces.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!