My inspiration for this blog!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

So for Christmas this past year my Mom had gotten me a Crockpot Recipe Book.  Since I became a Mom, I've become slightly obsessed with slow cooking.  I love that I can put everything in in the morning, and play with my son, and do chores around the house all day, while such a lovely aroma fills my home.  Dinner has never been easier!  Since I am obsessed with slow cooking, and frequently mention it on facebook, I've gotten quite a few requests for recipes.  This fact alone was a huge factor in me starting this blog.  With most of the soups, if there are solids in it, I simply strain them out for my son, so he can enjoy the meal with the family without winding up sopping wet!  This was another soup experiment for January '11, and I have to say, it was mighty tasty!  So, without further adieu, here is my first slow cooker posting!

Yields 9 Servings

Ingredients:
  • 3 cans (14.5 OZ each) chicken broth
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 package (6 OZ) converted long grain and wild rice mix with seasoning packet (not quick-cooking  or instant rice)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tspns white vinegar (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
Directions:
  1. In slow cooker, combine broth, chicken, water, celery, carrots, rice and seasoning packet, onion and pepper; mix well.
  2. Cover; cook on LOW 6-7 hours or on HIGH 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
  3. Stir in vinegar, if desired.  Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!