My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sausage and Peppers

My son isn't a big fan of sausage and peppers, and I really can't blame him!  For a baby, it makes you gassy, and the texture is just weird.  Needless to say, this is my first recipe which isn't a 100% tried and true kid-friendly recipe.  Eoin tried bits and pieces and wasn't thrilled.  But at least he tried it!  Regardless, I am sharing this recipe because it is one of the easiest things to make.  I already have the alterations in my head to make it a little more kid-friendly, and I can't wait to share the new and improved recipe with you in the future!  
Tuesdays and Thursdays, both Bill and I work.  When Eoin and I get home, I need a quick and easy recipe to get dinner on the table ASAP.  I am not a huge fan of sausage and peppers myself, but the beer gives it a slightly different flavor, which is always welcome to my palate.  The next time around, I will omit the beer, and use a turkey or chicken sausage and just saute everything.  

Yields 4 Servings

Prep Time 10 minutes    Cook time 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs of sweet Italian sausage, each link sliced in half lengthwise
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced or chopped
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 can of your favorite beer
Directions:
  1. Heat skillet for 2 minutes on medium-high heat.
  2. Add sausage and brown (approximately 5 minutes) on each side.
  3. Add onion and peppers and sweat down, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add beer, simmer for about 10-15 minutes more.
I served this tonight on top of yellow rice and a side salad consisting of mixed greens with garbanzo beans (chickpeas), sliced white mushroom and green olives.  I prefer using either lemon juice or a light balsamic dressing, but you can use your choice of dressing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!