My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Veggie Tuna Salad

I usually make my tuna salad a different way, and the next time I make it, I will definitely post my recipe for it.  The reason I had to make it differently, is because my boyfriend does not like onion, and constantly tells me that I overuse onions!  Making two different tuna salads seemed like a ridiculous notion to me, so I just made this onion-free tuna salad instead!  To give it the desired crunchiness, I added finely chopped carrot, another tricky way of sneaking in more veggies!  You could also substitute the carrot and add red or green peppers, onion, or any other crunchy veggie.  I made this for this week's lunches, so I made a large portion, you can certainly reduce the amount to suit your needs.

Yields 6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 cans (5 ounces each) of solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
  • 1 cup of Mayonnaise with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 TBS of finely chopped fresh dill (I highly recommend going fresh, if you have extra, put in a plastic sandwich bag and freeze.  Add to sauces and recipes while still frozen, using kitchen shears.  DO NOT use previously frozen dill as a garnish!)
  • 1/2 cup of finely chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrot (I bought a container of celery and carrot sticks, as to not have unnecessary waste)
  • 2 tsp lime juice 
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Spoon out onto desired bread (our choices were whole wheat pitas and white bread).  Garnish with lettuce of tomatoes if desired.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!