My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tomato Casserole

There's just something about the summer, when fresh juicy tomatoes are abundant, that just makes my mouth water.  Granted, it's not summer...YET...but I've seen tomatoes in the grocery store, and at the market around the block, and needless to say, I've been tempted!  I initially bought the tomatoes for salad, and of course I bought way too many.  So I was looking through my cookbooks and found a recipe for grape tomatoes, changed a few things, a Viola!, Tomato Casserole was born!  This side dish satisfied my quest for branching out from the "same old stuff."  It has a terrific light and flavorful taste, and Bill and I loved it!  I plan on making this dish for barbecues over the summer, and I suspect it will be a welcome hit!  I served this on the side of Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese, and it actually reminded me of one of my brothers' favorite dishes, grilled cheese with tomato soup!  It really was a pleasant flavor combo!  Although Eoin hasn't had tomatoes yet, I keep putting them on his plate, hoping one day he'll take the bait! 

Yields 4 Servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • 2 TBS minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp olive oil, divided
  • 1/4 cup Italian-Style bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, Feta or Blue Cheese, whatever your preference

 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.  Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray.
  2. Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil and garlic powder with half of the olive oil in a small bowl; toss to coat.  Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix breadcrumbs with the rest of the olive oil. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture and crumbled cheese over the top, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!