My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Black Beans and Rice Medley

My son hates lentils.  I've tried to get him to eat them on more than one occasion.  My boyfriend also is not a fan of lentils.  This poses a problem because I would like to get the both of them to eat a variety of foods, and well, at least the latter of the two likes black beans.  I love Latin American and Tex-Mex food!  Black Beans and Rice is probably one of my favorite sides, but more often than not, I find it impossible to get it "just right."  This is a different spin on the classic dish.  I make a vegetable with every meal, and if it's not served as a separate side dish, it's incorporated into the starch dish.  My son has just started to eat rice, as well as peppers, so I chopped up some peppers to saute (very slightly) and put into the dish.  I must say, it came out very nice.  It definitely isn't your classic Black Beans and Rice, but it does have the texture I've been yearning for!  And, it's healthy!  I've toned down the onions on this dish, because my boyfriend really isn't too fond of my "over" usage of them.  You could certainly add more to your own personal liking, and I used yellow, but on most Latin-themed dishes, I would use red onion, I personally like the taste better.  I also used 1/3 bag of dried black beans, cooked them, and then used them in the recipe; but you could most certainly use canned black beans as well. I served this as a side to my Salsalito Turkey Burgers.  The best part?  Both of the men in my life ate the rice!

Yields 8 servings as a side, 4 as a main dish

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 bag of dried black beans, cooked according to package directions, drained; OR 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
  • 2 mixed peppers, chopped
  • 1 small to medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 TBS mild salsa
  • 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
  • dash of your favorite hot sauce
  • shredded cheese (whatever your favorite cheese or cheese blend is), optional
Directions:
  1. Preheat a large skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat.  Add and saute onions, peppers, garlic, basil and black pepper until peppers are just tender.  Add salsa, vinegar, hot sauce, rice and beans and heat thoroughly.  Sprinkle with cheese (optional) before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!