My inspiration for this blog!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Greek Pizzas

I LOVE Greek food!  If we order out, I do make my usual rounds of Italian and Mexican, but Greek is also a very integral part to the rotation.  I've been eating Greek food since I was about 9 or 10, as my best friend at the time was from Greece.  Her Mom would make Spinach Pie, and I absolutely loved it!  I have since become very picky about Spinach Pie, and will only eat it at certain places.  One of my friends had her bridal shower the beginning of April at a place called Avli The Little Greek Tavern, in Bayside.  I had the Spinach Pie with Lemon Potatoes, and it was one of the best dishes I've ever tasted!  I highly recommend eating there if you're ever in the area!  Bill, Eoin and I will actually be going back there soon!  This recipe isn't for Spinach Pie, as I am too afraid to recreate the dish, but it is for Greek Pizzas, which just by looking at the picture, made my mouth water!  It's super easy, so there's really no reason to not give this a shot, regardless of how much time you have on your hands!  This particular recipe is from the cook book:  Taste of Home: Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.  I am not following this particular diet.  But if you wanted to, in the beginning of the cookbook it gives you a meal plan.  When I bought it, I bought it so we could eat great comfort meals, without the guilt of all the fat and calories associated with it!  Now that we're a bit more settled into our new home, I finally decided to give this cookbook a shot and try out some of the recipes!  I have about 3 or 4 more recipes I'll be trying out this week, including 1 recipe for the slow-cooker that I never thought of trying before.  As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Yields 4 servings
Ingredients:
  • 4 pita breads (6 inches)
  • 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • chopped Kalamata olives, optional*
Directions:

  1. Place pita breads on a baking sheet.  Combine the ricotta cheese and garlic powder; spread over pitas.  Top with spinach, olives, tomatoes, feta cheese and basil.
  2. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until bread is lightly browned.
*not in original recipe 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Why this blog exists

    Why this blog exists
    Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!