My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pork Chops with Blue Cheese Sauce

If you haven't noticed yet, our background is different!  I loved the old look, but it seemed a little too...depressing, for lack of a better word...for summer!  So right now we have some clouds in the background, which is usually where I feel my head is anyway!  As the seasons change, so will the backdrop!  My next couple of posts after this will be very basic recipes.  One of which I've used with Eoin since he was first able to eat "real" food (so it's pretty much a baby food recipe) and the other is a really fun recipe for the kids!  So without giving too much away, let's continue onto today's recipe, last night's dinner!
We tend to eat a lot of white meat in this household.  There are just so many ways to prepare pork and poultry, so if I get the opportunity to experiment, I jump at it!  This is another recipe from Taste of Home: Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.  Like I've said before, my boyfriend is NOT a fan of onions, and is always asking me to cut down my usage of onions a bit.  However, this sauce was so delicious, that I don't think the onions were much of an issue!  I must say though that my son refused to even try this dish, as he was in a mood at dinner-time last night, so I can't say this is a kid-tested meal...yet.  However, with or without Eoin's approval, this dish will be put into our permanent rotation since I feel as though every time we have pork chops, they seem to be smothered in some sort of red sauce.

Yields:  4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
SAUCE:
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup fat-free milk
  • 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
  • 1 tablespoon white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
Directions:
Sprinkle pork chops on both sides with pepper.  Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.  (I grilled my pork chops on the George Foreman Grill)
 Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.  Sprinkle with the flour; stir until blended.  Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add cheese and wine (or broth); heat through.  Serve sauce with chops. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!