My inspiration for this blog!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Homemade Fish Nuggets and Tartar Sauce

I originally made this dish last Friday but this past weekend has been absolutely nuts!  My amazingly thoughtful boyfriend threw me a surprise 30th birthday party with my family and friends on Saturday night!  It was a wonderful time with wonderful people, I couldn't have wished for anything more! 
On Sunday, we had Eoin's last swim class and a graduation party at the Country Club.  The party was a barbecue, buffet style.  I had an amazing swordfish-kebab.  My only complaint was that I felt there should have been a little bit more of everything, especially the swordfish on each kebab.  Not even 2 weeks ago, I watched an episode of Giada at Home and she was making fish kebabs, and for my actual birthday dinner, my mom is making beef, chicken and shrimp kebabs.  This is one of my favorite things about summer barbecueing!  Maybe I'll experiment and try to make shish kebabs in the broiler, of course I'll post how they come out when I do!
I've been toying with the idea of making homemade fish sticks for awhile.  I make chicken fingers and nuggets on a regular basis, so how hard could it be to just substitute fish in my recipe?  I didn't want to chance slicing the fish fillets too thin and having them dry out while baking, so I made these fish sticks into nuggets!  I had to say that for a first attempt, it wasn't bad!  I plan on going salt water fishing with my Dad in a few weeks, and I hope to catch SOMETHING, so if I wind up having too much, I'll try these nuggets out again!



Yields about 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 7 fish fillets (I used a combination of Tilapia and Sole, since that's what I had)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten (mixed with 1 cup cold water)
  • 2 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°
  2. Place flour in one shallow dish, the beaten eggs and water in a bowl, and the breadcrumbs and seasonings combined in yet another dish. 
  3. Cut each fish fillet into "nuggets" make sure they aren't too thin to prevent drying out during baking. 
  4. Dip each "nugget" into flour mixture, then egg, then breadcrumb mixture.
  5. Place each piece of fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Spritz the fish directly with cooking spray.
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, turning once, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
I've been cooking for a long time.  Even when I lived with my parents, I would make my own dinner when I got home after taking night courses at college.  And I would cook in bulk for lunches during the week for work.  It truly amazes me how much money I have saved "brown bagging" my lunch.  However, even though I've been cooking this long, it wasn't until I had my son that I realized the error of my ways.  I could save even more money and frustration, I could make my own condiments!  I mean cocktail sauce is really a no-brainer, but I could make tartar sauce as well!  I used to buy a bottle, use it once, then it would expire and I would throw it away.  This behavior would repeat itself every so often.  Since becoming a homemaker, I have become overly conscious of waste.  Remember the idiom, "Waste not, want not"?  Nothing could be more true!  The ingredients for this particular tartar sauce, most people have on hand in their refrigerator.  There are many, many recipes out there for every flavor of tartar sauce you could ever imagine, but this is just a basic recipe.  You could spice this up, and if you do, please feel free to post your revised recipe and the outcome!  I always look forward to any feedback, positive or negative!  Each batch is made small, so you're not making excessive amounts that will wind up in the garbage, and it can keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Yields 1 cup (you can adjust the quantities if you need to make a larger batch)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of Mayonnaise with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tablespoon of prepared Horseradish
  • about 3-4 sliced of bread and butter pickle slices, chopped (or if you have a jar of relish, you can use that)
  • 2 tablespoons of lime juice
Directions:
  1. Combine all of the ingredients.  Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!