My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fun in the Kitchen: Chef Boyar-kid's English Muffin Pizzas

Sometimes you just have to give in to your inner child.  Especially when you're a parent.  English Muffin Pizzas are literally the easiest things to make, and your child can help you throughout the whole process!  Yes, it may not be original, but it's simple, and it's kid friendly.  This is what I strive for with this blog!  It's been proven that to get a picky kid to eat, put them in the kitchen!  When children partake in making a meal, they are more likely to eat it.  I'm actually toying with the idea of this becoming a part of my son's 2nd Birthday Celebration when the time comes!  Before I had my son, I worked full-time in child care, and this always seemed to be a huge hit with the children!  They love to make things themselves that they can watch cook, and then eat!  Plus, in my case, if I don't let my son help (which he LOVES to do) a meltdown will ensue.  He'll lay on my kitchen floor and cry this heartbreaking cry.  So I opt to sometimes give in, and get my meal done!  And if that means little hands helping me along the way, then so be it!  Not to mention, it also makes me happy that he is so interested in his Mother's cooking, and is becoming a chivalrous little lad! 
Please feel free to share any recipes you and your child enjoy making together, any and all feedback is, like always, greatly welcomed!

Yields 6 Servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of English Muffins, split in half
  • 3/4 package part skim mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • about 1 cup of marinara sauce (homemade, canned or jarred; we used jarred) You want enough sauce to put 2 tablespoons onto each half of the English muffins
The world is your oyster; you can put whatever toppings your tot prefers from olives to pepperoni.  We left ours plain, but I seasoned mine with crushed red pepper, oregano and garlic powder after it came out of the oven.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°.

Lightly toast each of the split muffins. (This will give a little added crunch to the pizzas, and will help prevent them from becoming soggy messes)
Put the split English Muffins, split side up, on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. 


Spoon 2 tablespoons onto each muffin (depending on the age of the child, an adult may have to do this step)


Top each "pizza" with one slice of mozzarella cheese, cut in half widthwise. (This step is ideal for children of all ages)

Bake for 10 minutes.  You want the cheese melted and starting to brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!