My inspiration for this blog!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Cheesy Broccoli with Corn

I feel like I've been slacking.  About 2 weeks ago, something happened to our router, and it's not giving us any wireless internet access.  We've just been so busy, that we haven't had the time to go and get a new router.  This poses a problem when it comes to me updating the blog.  I prefer to update and post pictures all at the same time, but I have to go on to my laptop to upload the photos...  From now on, so I don't get backlogged any further, I will post and upload pictures later. 
You know when you go down the frozen aisle at the supermarket and get tempted by buying a teeny tiny container of broccoli in cheese sauce?  From now on just make your own!  I made a large batch of this, and was able to freeze about half!  I love when I get to freeze something, it's one less thing for me to have to cook in the future!  This is a good dish to have your child "help" you with.  As I cubed all of the cheese, my son put it in the slow cooker.  He loves to be helpful, and with his help, I can actually finish what I'm doing!  You really could use any vegetables that you would prefer in a cheese sauce.  This recipe uses broccoli and corn, but you could omit the corn and use carrots or cauliflower, or even peas, whatever your taste buds crave!  Thanks to this dish, my son finally had more than one microscopic piece of broccoli!  When I use the portion I froze, I will update to let you know how well it froze, and if I suggest for others to do the same.

Yields 2 batches of about 6 servings each

Ingredients:
  • 2 (10 oz) packages of frozen broccoli florets, thawed
  • 2 (10 oz) packages of frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
  • 4 oz, half the package, of Velveeta, cubed
  • about 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, either shredded or cut up really small
  • 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/3 cup of milk
Directions:
In your slow cooker, combine the broccoli, corn and cheeses.  In a small bowl, mix together the soup and the milk, until completely combined.  Pour over vegetable mixture.  Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 4 hours.  Be sure to stir the mixture before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!