My inspiration for this blog!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentine's Day Toddler/Preschool Crafts

So every once in a while, someone will ask me for ideas for arts and crafts to do with their child.  Usually, I don't do anything all that notable.  I am a Nanny to two 20 month olds, and my son is only 25 months old; so I can't do anything all that intricate.  I already have ideas of what I want to do next year and the year after, but I try and break down most of what we do to the simplest form, so it's not too overwhelming for them.  Plus, I don't want to do the same thing year after year, then it just seems like a chore for me!  Here are three Valentine's Day crafts that we have recently done.  They all came out so incredibly cute, and the kids were so proud of themselves.  The last craft is from Parents Magazine.  Usually I'm intimidated to even try the crafts they have, but this looked like something I could do!  The only thing I didn't like about this craft is that, although the kids glued everything down themselves, it still looked like they had help from an adult!  Aside from creating and cutting out all the parts, all I did was put glue on the back of each part!  They did the rest!  It still came out really cute nonetheless!

(This is actually copied from an email I just sent out today) 



Today Eoin's going to do a simple, cut out a white heart and let him fingerpaint it red, but we also did a few more intricate projects:

1.  Valentine's Day Wreath:
We took a paper plate (ours was pink, but any color will do) and cut the middle out.  I have a stash of multi-colored paper scraps so I cut out a bunch of different sized hearts.  The kids I watch are 20 months and Eoin is 25 months, so I do the gluing for them.  I just put a single line of glue all around the perimeter of the plate and then let them put the hearts all over.  I added more glue as necessary.  Then at the end I let them pick out a glitter glue color and just put a little trail all around it.  



2.  Valentine:
I cut one scalloped heart out of white paper (if you want to be even more creative, you can use a coffee filter or doily) Then cut a pink heart smaller than the white.  I have a heart hole punch, if you don't have one, just cut tiny hearts out of different color paper.  Glue the white and pink hearts on a piece of red paper.  Then take a paintbrush and spread glue over the two hearts.  I used the tiny hearts as confetti and let the kids sprinkle them onto the glue covered hearts.  You can also sprinkle glitter over the glue covered hearts.  While that dries, trace two hand prints on orange paper.  I wrote "I ♥ Mommy" on one and "I ♥ Daddy" on the other.  When the hearts dry, then glue the hands onto the paper.



3.  Stuck on you:
I got this one from Parents Magazine:



I included pictures of the step by step process.  
For the frog's body:  Fold the papper in half, then fold in half again.  Draw a half-heart against the folded corner, making sure that the top and side edges align with the folds.  Cut out, unfold, and flatten.

Cut 4 legs as shown, 2 at an angle about 5" tall and 2 straight about 4" tall.  Punch 6 hearts and glue to ends as feet (again, if you don't have it, just cut tiny hearts out) Glue legs under big heart, and bend larger legs at the knees.  Trace spoon handle on pink paper, cut out , and glue inside of mouth.  Cut 2 2" dark green and 2 1" light green (I used yellow) ovals, glue together.  Draw pupils; fold edges of ovals, and glue to top of head.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!