My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How to make your own table runner


On one of the first episodes of The Chew (and it actually may have been the VERY FIRST episode) Clinton Kelly made a very simple table runner (for Clinton Kelly's instructions, please go to The Chew and search under Clinton Kelly) . This was back in September. From the time I saw that segment, I knew I wanted to make them for Christmas presents. If you asked me 4 years ago who I would become, I never thought I'd turn out like this! I cook homemade meals more often than not, and now I make my own Christmas presents?!?! This truly is simple. I may be creative but I can't sew, crochet or anything of the like! These are NO SEW directions! Because of this, be VERY careful when cleaning the fabric!




  • You want to preferably pick a cotton, or a cotton-poly blend for your fabric. Something that is going to be nice and thick and durable. I got my fabric from fabric.com but you can use your own reliable source for fabric, whether it be another website or a fabric store.
  • Measure the width and the length of your table.
    • You want the table runner to be 1/3 of the width of your table. For instance, if the width of your table is 60-inches, then you want the table runner to be 20-inches. Then add 1 ½ inches to each side to allow for hemming. This would make your width measurement 23 inches.
    • You want the length of your table runner to be an additional 12-inches on either side than what you have measured. If your table is 90-inches long, then you would want the table runner to be 114-inches. Again, you must add 1 ½ inches to each side to allow for hemming. This would make your length measurement 117-inches.


  • Cut your fabric to desired measurements.
  • Measure ½-inch along all edges and fold into the backside of the fabric. Fold seam over again, this time 1-inch, to create your hem.
  • Take some No-Sew Hemming Tape and press into the seam of your hem. Follow the directions on the back of the hem tape package to seal the hem into place.

  • It is up to your own personal taste if you would like to keep the corners of the table runner square of if you want to angle it off. My best advice to you would be to make sure you MEASURE EVERYTHING OUT!

I used Christmas fabrics, so I opted to not use any extra embellishments on the runners. But if you don't find a pattern you like, you can always make a solid color table runner and then use fabric paint and a rubber stamp to decorate it. You can also make tassles for the edges if you'd like. Or even get some extra fabric and make some little place mats to go along with the table runner. With this project, the world is your oyster! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!