My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spiced Sugar Cookies


It's been a Christmas tradition in my family for I don't even know how many years, that we make sugar cookies. My brother and sister have taken over this tradition and now make them every Christmas Eve. Since this past year I have been all about starting traditions for my family and I, I wanted a nice and easy cookie recipe to do. These are spiced sugar cookies from McCormick, a little different spin on the original sugar cookie, and this way, if I bring some to my parent's for Christmas Eve, it has a slightly different flavor to it. Eoin loved helping me make these cookies! He spent a lot of time helping me decorate them. You can use whatever you desire to decorate them. We used little cinnamon candies, red and green decorative sugars, multicolored sprinkles, and red and green frosting. The original recipe says that it yields 6 dozen cookies, but it depends on the size of the cookie cutters you use. We had enough cookies to bring to my side of the family for Christmas Eve, the other side of the family for Christmas, give to my landlord, and still have a tiny bit leftover for us.

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 ¼ cups sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • whatever you desire to decorate your cookies with


Directions:

  1. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight until firm.

  2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookies cutters. If decorating with sprinkles or candies, decorate prior to baking. Place on greased baking sheets.


















  3. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. If decorating with frosting/icing, decorate after cookies have completely cooled. Place back on wire rack to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!