My inspiration for this blog!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Presto-Chango Calzone!

This is my second attempt at making a stuffed bread of sorts.  This one is definitely a keeper!  The great thing about this recipe is that you can throw in virtually anything that you want!  I put ham and salami in this, but you could put in some grilled veggies, or switch up the deli meats a little, and use different versions of the meats listed.  I think Ham Cappi and Soppresata would be an excellent Italian variation!  I used refrigerated pizza dough, one regular and one whole wheat.  Once I start making my own,  I  will start using that.  You can add the ricotta cheese, maybe do a mozzarella/ricotta mix, at about ½ cup each, per roll.  It really depends on if you like ricotta cheese.  It was terrific without it!  After heating thoroughly, I immediately wrapped up the second calzone and put it in the refrigerator for dinner for another night.  I love only having to cook once and having dinner for at least 2 nights!  You could also serve this as an appetizer, just slice each loaf a little thinner then you would have otherwise.

Makes about 8 servings

Ingredients:
ñ     2 refrigerated pizza doughs, 15 oz each (you could also use homemade pizza dough or 2 loaves of frozen bread dough, thawed)
ñ     ½ lb sliced ham
ñ     ½ lb sliced hard salami
ñ     2 cups shredded mozzarella, or an Italian cheese blend
ñ     1 cup of marinara sauce (jarred or homemade), optional

Directions:

ñ     Sprinkle each pizza dough with flour, spreading some on your work surface as well.  Roll out each pizza dough as far as you can get it.
ñ     Layer ham and salami down the center of each pizza dough.
ñ     Top meats with 1 cup of the shredded cheese for each dough.
ñ     Fold short end of each dough in about ½” and seal.  Roll and pinch well to seal the entire calzone.  They should be 2 long rolls.
ñ     Bake, seam side down on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes at 375ºF.  Loaves should be golden brown.
ñ     Let side for 5 minutes, then slice.  Serve with marinara if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!