My inspiration for this blog!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Mashed Sweet Potato Bake

Fall is my favorite time of year.  With it comes the smell of apple pie, pumpkin pie and bread, roasted turkey and chickens, and sweet potatoes amongst the many other vast arrays of fall goodies.  Eoin likes sweet potatoes, but there are just so many times we can eat sweet potato fries or baked sweet potatoes.  I decided that I wanted to test drive a baked mashed sweet potato dish that I could later incorporate into our Thanksgiving meal this year.  I used a hand masher, just to give the mashed potatoes a little more texture.  I wanted a few lumps!  This is extremely close, get subtly different from candied yams, which are one of my Dad's and my favorite dishes.  I used regular marshmallows, you could use mini marshmallows, but I really don't think it would make too much of a difference.  Eoin loved them, although it did make him an extraordinarily sticky mess!  I can't wait to make these again for Thanksgiving!

Yields about 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • marshmallows
Directions:
  • Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender, about a half hour.
  • With a hand masher, mash sweet potatoes, adding milk slowly.  Adjust the amount to achieve desired consistency.  Add butter and maple syrup, mash to mix well. 
  • Spread mixture into a 9x13" baking dish.  Cover with marshmallows.
  • Place dish into a preheated oven (I was cooking something else as well, so my oven was preheated to 400ºF)  Bake until marshmallows melt and turn brown, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!