My inspiration for this blog!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mama's "Hamburger Helper"

Two weeks ago was another week of fast dinners.  My Gram went back into the hospital, so it was another round of quick and easy meals so we could go up and visit.  It was also right before we were due to go grocery shopping, so I was trying to use up whatever I had left in my Lazy-Susan.  Who needs Hamburger Helper, when you have an imagination?  What is Hamburger Helper anyway?  It's just pasta (in some cases rice) and seasonings.  So I decided to make a Mama's version!  Quite simple, inexpensive and tasty!  Every meal I make usually has a meat, a starch and a vegetable, so that's exactly what this is!  I used macaroni and cheese, but next time I may use some beef-flavored rice (or any kind of rice for that matter).  I used peas, but I'm making another batch tonight (I need to make 3 days worth of dinners today), and will be using peas and carrots. 
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of ground beef
  • 1 box of macaroni and cheese (milk and butter needed as per package instructions)
  • 1 can, or 1 (10 oz) package of frozen vegetables
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Directions:
  • Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.  Season with pepper, onion and garlic powders.  Drain.
  • Cook macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
  • Add beef mixture to the macaroni and cheese.  Add peas.  Heat thoroughly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!