My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Black Bean Enchiladas

I know it's either feast of famine with this blog!  This will be my 4th post within 2 days!  After this I will be all caught up, and will be posting current recipe adventures!  Actually, as I type this, I have a chicken roasting in the oven, and will hopefully be posting about that recipe later tonight (after Eoin is asleep) or at some point tomorrow.  I love 3 hour nap times!  Gives me a chance to watch a DVRed show (Hawthorne, one of my guilty summer pleasures), do dishes and prep dinner for tonight! 
This week has been a total catch up on chores and when I get a second to sit down, usually while I eat lunch, I bang out a blog posting (or two).  I had my Gram in the hospital for a little over a week, so I was running back and forth to the hospital to visit her on a daily basis.  Thankfully, all is well now (she is actually being discharged today!) 
Luckily, this will be my last night of cooking for the next two days!  :)  Tomorrow we have a barbecue with some relatives from out of town, and then Thursday Bill won't be here for dinner, and I'll just have some left overs from tonight!   

One last thing before I continue this post.  Please, if you have FACEBOOK, become a fan of A Mommy's "Food" - scapades, but also, PLEASE vote for my son for the Gerber Generation Photo Search.  You can vote once a day, every day, until the end of the month.  I really appreciate each and every vote!  The link is:  Vote for Eoin!  It seriously only takes a matter of seconds!  Thank you!

Last week, we were either always eating on the go, or I needed something that I could assemble in the morning and then heat up later on, taking minimal time.  I figured there are only so many casseroles that you can do in the summer, that you actually want to eat.  Then I remembered how well my enchiladas stay when I make them ahead of time.  I didn't have time to slow cook chicken breasts, and I have a huge amount of canned beans sitting in my Lazy Susan, so Black Bean Enchiladas it was!  Healthy AND filling!  I decided to take it one step healthier and use whole wheat tortillas.  Sometimes, like with whole wheat pasta, you can taste the difference, but in this case you couldn't!  These came out so good that Eoin absolutely LOVED them!  I was a little shocked because I thought he wouldn't care for them much because of the jalapenos.  Here's a picture of him enjoying his Black Bean Enchiladas:

This is very similar to a recipe I posted back in May,Chicken Taco-Burrito-Fajitas, with a few varied ingredients, so you could always use that recipe and then follow the rest of the directions on here.  This recipe, however, was adapted from Betty Crocker's:  The Big Book of Slow Cooker, Casseroles & More.

Ingredients:
  • 1 TBS vegetable oil
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
  • 3/4 cup of chunky-style salsa
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
  • 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 10 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
  • sour cream (optional)
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 2 baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is just tender.  Stir in the corn, salsa, beans and 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese.  Remove from heat.
  • Wrap the 10 tortillas in a paper towel and place on a microwave safe plate.  Microwave for 1 minutes, just until the tortillas soften.  Spread about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up tightly.  Place seam side down in baking dish.
  • After all tortillas are used up, spoon the rest of the bean mixture over the top of the enchiladas.  Spread enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, making sure you coat all tortillas.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup of cheddar.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, or any other Tex-Mex condiment, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!