My inspiration for this blog!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Cheesy, Creamy Mac-N-Cheese


So...I may get some flack for this post.  Don't get me wrong but I do ABSOLUTELY LOVE "All My Children", and it was heart-wrenching to see the show end it's run on ABC.  I know some people may have totally stopped watching ABC weekdays at 1 PM and went to another channel.  That being said, I do enjoy "The Chew".  In the short time that show has been on, I feel like I've picked up so many little tricks!  I plan on making DIY table runners for the holidays (of course when I do this, I will post about it!).  
Last week I was planning on making a different version of Mac-n-Cheese with whatever I had laying around.  I've done 3 versions:  The Velveeta box recipe, a slow-cooker version, and the Kraft version!  As luck would have it, "The Chew" did a version of Mac-n-Cheese on the show that day!  Alas, my side dish was born!  I did change/substitute parts of it because I used what I already had.  Like I've said before, any and all of my changes/suggestions will be italicized.

Yields about 8-10 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of elbow macaroni (I used cavatappi)
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 cup carmelized onions
  • 1 cup white cheddar, grated*
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley to garnish (less if using dried parsley)
  • 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used to sliced of deli ham, fried up and chopped)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (skim, low-fat, or whole, according to your preferences)
  • 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated*
  • 4 oz cream cheese (half of stick)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
*You may use whatever cheese you have readily available.  I used 1 cup of a Mexican blend, and then 1/2 cup of Swiss and 1/2 cup of Cheddar.  It's based on whatever your personal preferences are.  There is NO WRONG WAY!  

Directions:
  1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes.  Drain. (I hear this over and over again, on this show included.  Whatever your package directions say, cook one minute less, if you plan on still cooking the pasta in the sauce.)
  2. In a saucepan, cook bacon until crispy.  Remove bacon, reserve drippings in saucepan.  Add and melt 2 Tbsp butter in same saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until smooth.  Whisk in the milk, and stir until thick, about 2 minutes.  Whisk in the cheese until smooth.  Stir in carmelized onions, bacon and pasta.
  3. In a skillet over medium heat, combine all ingredients for breadcrumbs.  Allow to toast.
  4. Serve into bowls.  Top with breadcrumbs and crumbled bacon.  Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!