My inspiration for this blog!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Turkey Pizza Burgers

I'm not a big fan of ground turkey, but I buy it and eat it because it's healthy and it helps us eat a balanced diet.  It seems like the whole family can tolerate ground turkey if I use it in burgers.  I try to change up the kinds of burgers I do every now and then, because let's face it, the same old can get VERY boring!  My son likes turkey burgers, and this one was a big hit!  My goal was to pretty much season the burger itself like the pizza sauce and then to top each burger with a spoonful of marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.  You can use homemade sauce, and freshly grated cheese, or you can use jarred sauce and a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese, the choice is strictly up to your personal preference. 



Yields about 6 burgers

Prep time 10 minutes     Cook time 12 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 - 1 1/4 lbs of ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup panko crumbs
  • 4 Tbsp marinara sauce, more to top each burger with a teaspoonful
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 2 dashes red pepper flakes
  • a dash of salt and a dash of pepper
  • about 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
Directions:
  1. Heat pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Combine everything except for extra marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.  Combine thoroughly and form into about 6 patties (number of patties may vary depending on how big or small you like your burgers, I usually make a couple of sliders for the baby)
  3. Grill burgers 5 minutes on each side, or cooked through.  Lower heat to medium-low.  Top each burger with a tsp of marinara sauce and sprinkle mozzarella on top.  Cover, and melt cheese.  Serve on a roll or by itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!