My inspiration for this blog!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Crunchy Eggplant Cutlet Parmesan

I know Lent really isn't THAT long, but I've grown pretty tired of "Fish Fridays."  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fish, and I LOVE seafood, but not when I HAVE to eat it!  I bought a medium-sized eggplant the other day, figuring just the baby and I would eat it during the week for lunch, or as a side dish to our dinner.  My boyfriend really isn't a huge fan of eggplant.  Then I started thinking...wouldn't it be nice to use it as a substitute for chicken in Chicken Parmesan cutlets.  I really wasn't in the mood for a traditional Eggplant Parmesan.  I wanted thick slices of crunchy eggplant with sauce and oozing cheese.  When I have chicken cutlets, I prefer them to be a little bit crunchier, so that was what I was aiming for with these by using the Panko.  I figure it's not your traditional run-of-the-mill Eggplant Parmesan, and maybe it will be a vegetarian hit in our house (we don't have many of those)!  The sauce I used in this recipe was a homemade Truly Simple Mushroom Marinara Sauce.  The mushrooms gave the sauce that extra "meatiness," which I think these cutlets really needed, to feel just a little bit more filling.  I really wanted to do this recipe just by baking them (I hate giving the baby anything fried) but I thought by just baking, it may dry out the eggplant, and would not have my desired effect.  I'll try experimenting a little next time, and see if I can get a solely baked version that comes out just as good!

Yields about 10 "cutlets," makes about 4-5 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-1 1/2" rounds
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup panko (more as needed)
  • 1 egg, whisked with 1/2 cup cold water
  • About 1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 1/2-1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
  • about 1/3 cup of marinara sauce (link to a homemade sauce recipe above, or jarred)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
  2. Put paper towels over a baking sheet and place rounds in single layer.  Lightly sprinkle with salt, and let sit 20 minutes.  This rids the eggplant of excess moisture. 
  3. Coat the bottom of a frying pan with the oil, and heat over medium heat.
  4. Coat each round with flour, dip into egg and press into panko crumbs.  After each round is breaded, but into pan with hot oil.  Brown both sides of the eggplant, adding more oil when needed.
  5. After both sides of round are browned, then transfer to a paper towel covered plate.  You DO NOT want to cook the eggplant rounds thoroughly, because over cooking will cause them to fall apart!  
  6. While the paper towels are absorbing the excess oil, take 2 cookie sheets, and put a wire rack inside of them.  After frying the eggplant, and making them nice and crispy, you want the hot air to circulate around the cutlets.  If you put them directly onto the cookie sheet, you risk the chance of them becoming soggy!  
  7. Arrange the cooled cutlets on the wire racks in a single layer.  Put a dollop of marinara sauce on each, then sprinkle generously with cheese.
  8. Bake just until the cheese melts.  Serve with a side of pasta and salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!