My inspiration for this blog!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Easy Cheesy Manicotti

I belong to a book club, which was terrific when I was pregnant, because I ordered a whole bunch of books for my little bundle of joy.  Now, I don't have any time to read.  I have a toddler who runs around and turns my house upside down every day.  I cook, clean, and work two days a week.  Oh and we're moving, so I'm on a never-ending packing escapade (or so it seems).  Just for laughs (yeah right!) I decided to check how many more books I needed to buy and in how long of a time.  4 selections by July!  I don't even have time to read, and now I need to buy 4 books?  And when it comes to a book club, 4 selections really doesn't mean 4 books.  7 books later...so I decided to buy 2 cookbooks, although as soon as they came in the mail, I saw one that I wanted even more.  Maybe someone will buy it for me for Mother's Day or my 30th birthday (hint, hint).  This one is Betty Crocker The Big Book of Slow Cooker, Casseroles & More which at this point in time is almost like a Godsend because packing has become a little more important than cooking, and I'm trying to get rid of EVERYTHING in my freezer so I don't have to bring it with us! 
Between work and then a late afternoon appointment, I don't have time to cook tomorrow.  Between packing and cleaning today, I prepped this casserole (while Eoin was napping!), and now when I get home tomorrow night, it's ready to go in the oven.  When we all get home and sit around the kitchen table, I can guarantee we will have a great meal to share the tales of our day over!

Yields 7 servings (2 shells each)

prep time  25 minutes  cook time 1 hour 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar (26 oz) chunky-style tomato paste sauce.  (I used the rest of my Truly Simple Mushroom Marinara Sauce)
  • 2 boxes (9 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained.  (I put mine in a colander and pressed down, squeezing the excess water out)
  • 1 container (12 oz) small-curd cottage cheese (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp dried oregano leaves, crumbled
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 package (8 oz) manicotti shells (14 shells)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz) 
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.  In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, spread about one-third of the pasta sauce.
  2. In a large bowl, mix spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, oregano and pepper.  Fill uncooked manicotti shells with spinach mixture; place on sauce in baking dish.
  3. In medium bowl, mix remaining pasta sauce and water.  Pour sauce mixture evenly over shells, covering completely.
  4. Cover with foil.  Bake 1 hour.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.  Cover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until shells are tender.
*You can make this up to 24 hours in advance.  Complete steps 1-3 and then cover with foil and refrigerate.  When you are ready to cook, place in preheated oven, and follow step 4.  You can also FREEZE this recipe!  Again, complete steps 1-3, then cover tightly, label and freeze for up to a month.  Bake 2 hours when ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!