My inspiration for this blog!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mediterranean Minestrone Casserole

My son never ceases to amaze me!  This was another meal that I was sure he would turn his nose up at, and yet he absolutely loved it!  I will be making this again in the future!  I used a mixture of half regular pasta, and half whole wheat pasta, and no one could tell the difference!  This is a great meal to just have cooking on a Sunday afternoon, so you can have lunches for the week!  It's nice and filling, convenient AND healthy!  Another recipe from Betty Crocker:  The Big Book of Slow Cooker, Casseroles and More!

Yields 5 servings

Ingredients:
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced (1-1/2 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (15 to 16 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained, rinsed
  • 1 can (6 oz) Italian-style tomato paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
  • 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (3-1/2 oz) (I used 1/2 cup regular, 1/2 cup whole wheat)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2oz)
Directions:
  • In a 3-to-4-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except green beans, macaroni and cheese.
  • Cover; cook on LOW heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
  •  Stir in green beans and macaroni.  Increase heat setting to HIGH.  Cover; cook about 20 minutes longer or until bean a macaroni are tender.  Sprinkle with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why this blog exists

Why this blog exists
Me and my favorite little helper in the kitchen!